Another school year is upon us, meaning students and families are getting ready to begin their journey to State College.
For students and parents, it can be an exciting but challenging time. However, as you will quickly see, State College offers many big city attractions with small town charm and convenience for students as well as visiting family members.
Here are just a few:
- With virtually everything you need available in downtown State College, a trip to the store is just a short walk or bus ride away from campus.
- Make a dining bucket list and try to visit some downtown eateries that are unique to State College. There are so many locally owned restaurants that serve food of different ethnicities. From Austrian to Thai, State College is a melting pot for different types of cuisine. Try Herwig’s Austrian Bistro, The Green Bowl, Mad Mex, and Fiddlehead.
- No college year in the area is complete without embarking on at least one trip through Happy Valley’s surrounding parks, forests, lakes and hiking trails. Most common of which is a hike up Mt. Nittany to the Mike Lynch Overlook that directly faces State College and Penn State University.
- School can be stressful, so why not relieve some stress with a day to get pampered at the Carnegie Inn & Spa. The ESSpa Kozmetika at the Carnegie Inn & Spa delivers a revitalizing wellness experience. It has seven private treatment suites, steam rooms and a state-of-the-art manicure and pedicure area. The inn also makes a great place to enjoy a romantic dinner with that special someone.
Mom and Dad
- Stay at the Carnegie Inn & Spa, a luxury hotel, to experience exquisite fine dining and an award-winning spa. Check out the Carnegie Inn & Spa’s lodging and spa specials here.
- If you can’t get tickets to a Penn State football game, don’t worry. There are plenty of ways to enjoy Happy Valley and spend time with your son or daughter after you drop them off in August. Here are a few:
- Penn State’s Bryce Jordan Center draws major musical and entertainment acts each year. This year, Bruce Springsteen will be performing on November 1, and Carrie Underwood will be performing a couple weeks later on November 13.
- In addition to the Bryce Jordan Center, the Center for Performing Arts at Penn State brings many national shows to Eisenhower and Schwab Auditoriums. Past performances have included standup comedian Jerry Seinfeld and the “Goo Goo Dolls.”
- Another great venue to see a show is The State Theatre in downtown State College. The theatre is community owned and it presents a wide variety of performances, from high school musicals to critically acclaimed films and stand up comedians.
- Enjoy a true taste of Happy Valley by visiting local wineries and breweries such as Otto’s Pub & Brewery (the only brewery in State College), Seven Mountains Wine Cellars, and Mount Nittany Vineyard & Winery. Also, don’t miss Carnegie Inn & Spa for an elegant dining experience.
- During the winter months, you can witness some exciting Penn State sports action such as men’s and women’s basketball and the two-time defending national champion Penn State wrestling team. And this year, the men and women’s hockey programs will be competing at the Division I level for the first time ever!
- In addition to sporting events, take a trip to Tussey Mountain for skiing, snowboarding and tubing, or visit the Penn State ice rink for some ice-skating.
With great outdoor activities, world-class performances, exciting sporting events and an abundance of dining and shopping, there’s something for everyone all year round.
To those who are getting ready to call State College home, welcome. And who knows, after these four short years pass, maybe you’ll decide to stay a little longer.
Plan your stay today. Parents, sign up for the Parent Discount Plan and save 15% every time you stay with us!
Visit Lion Country Lodging
Carnegie Inn & Spa - 814-234-2424
100 Cricklewood Drive, State College, PA 16803
Days Inn Penn State - 814-238-8454
240 South Pugh Street, State College, PA 16801
Hilton Garden Inn - 814-272-1221
1221 East College Avenue, State College, PA 16801
Quality Inn State College - 814-234-1600
1274 N. Atherton Street, State College, PA 16803
Super 8 - 814-237-8005
1663 S. Atherton/Branch Road, State College, PA 16801
Nittany Budget Motel - 814-238-0015
2070 Cato Avenue, State College, PA 16801